Notre Dame Fire Blamed on Student Candle

by JACK ARNHOLZ April 17, 2019

French President Emmanuel Macron announced today that a student’s unattended lit candle caused last Monday’s fire at the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. While no one was seriously injured in the blaze, Mr. Macron said that the incident suggests that his message about the dangers of lit candles was not getting through.

“While we plan to rebuild Notre Dame within five years, this episode presents a serious problem” Mr. Macron told the Harpoon. “Students still have not gotten the message about these goddamn candles. As a result, not only will we be now prohibiting all candles in College housing, but also all oak beams dating back to the 13th century. Sacré bleu!”

Mr. Macron’s executive decree has many students upset and confused. “My 13th century oak beams add a certain je-ne-sais-pas to my room’s aesthetic,” David Francois ’19 told the Harpoon over a croissant in the Café de Jack Magee. “My boudoir will never be the same.”

After Friday, April 26, any student found with a candle in a residence, even if not lit, will face disciplinary consequences, beginning with expired foie gras.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s